Govt to return over RM21.7 mil 1MDB-linked monies to various entities
This comes after prosecution withdraws appeal over failed forfeiture bids
(The Vibes) – The government is set to return over RM21.7 million worth of seized funds to political parties, companies and individuals allegedly linked to the 1Malaysia Development Bhd (1MDB) financial scandal.
This is after the hearing at the Court of Appeal today, which saw the prosecution, led by deputy public prosecutor Kamal Bahrin Omar, withdrawing its appeal over failed forfeiture bids in 11 out of 14 cases where the government is the appellant.
It added that the notice of discontinuance against its appeal was filed on Friday.
Of the funds previously seized in the 11 cases, Jakel Trading Sdn Bhd holds the bulk of it at RM10.75 million, followed by Mediaedge CIA (M) Sdn Bhd (RM4.63 million) and Aga Touch (M) Sdn Bhd (RM3 million).
Barisan Nasional Johor Baru will have RM957,395.65 returned to it, along with the Johor Umno state relations body (RM677,872.55), Yayasan Persatuan Bekas Anggota Kemas Malaysia (RM100,000), Jakel Trading (RM628,314), the Sarawak United People’s Party (RM188,138.26), and Pekan Umno (RM700,000).
Former lands and cooperatives development minister Tan Sri Kasitah Gaddam will also have RM100,000 given back to him while former Sin Chew Media Corp Bhd executive director Sim Sai Hoon will repocket RM41,261.64.
Judge Datuk Seri Kamaludin Md Said, who chaired the nine-man appellate bench, reminded the prosecution that it should consider how it would be “inconsistent” to proceed with the remaining three cases, following its withdrawn appeal for the 11 cases.
“There must be consistency (in the handling of these cases). Since you have filed an appeal withdrawal in 11 cases, you should do the same in the other three cases,” he said.