Act on MACC’s probe into judge Nazlan, Puad tells govt
(FMT) – Umno Supreme Council member Puad Zarkashi has urged the new government to follow up on the probe into Court of Appeal judge Nazlan Ghazali.
In a Facebook post, Puad said the new government should not keep silent on the matter.
“The new government must get to the bottom of it,” he said, adding that the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) has already completed its probe on the matter “some time ago”.
In September, MACC chief Azam Baki said the investigation into Nazlan has been completed, but further details cannot be divulged.
Azam said he was not at liberty to disclose the Attorney-General’s Chambers’ (AGC) instructions.
Nazlan, who presided over Najib Razak’s SRC International trial in the High Court, found the former prime minister guilty of abuse of power, criminal breach of trust (CBT) and money laundering, and sentenced him to 12 years’ jail and a RM210 million fine.
In his Federal Court appeal, Najib was prevented from arguing that Nazlan was under a serious conflict of interest when presiding over the trial. Najib lost the final appeal and is serving his sentence at Kajang prison.
On April 22, MACC said it had opened an investigation paper following a report lodged about an unexplained sum of more than RM1 million in Nazlan’s bank account.
Nazlan had later lodged a police report over the allegations, saying they were “false, baseless and malicious” and aimed at undermining his credibility as a judge.
In May, MACC said it had wrapped up its probe into Nazlan. However, earlier this month, Azam said the investigation paper was returned to MACC for further investigations.