Najib Razak and Boris Johnson disagree on how to fight Covid-19
Emergency, MCO have failed to stop spread of Covid-19, says Najib
(FMT) – Three months of emergency rule and the second movement control order (MCO 2.0) have clearly failed to stop the spread of Covid-19, says former prime minister Najib Razak.
Najib said this citing yesterday’s Covid-19 figures, where 1,767 cases, 12 deaths and nine new clusters were reported. There are now also 16,300 active cases, slightly less than half from when MCO 2.0 started on Jan 13.
“In fact, the rate of infection or R-naught (R0) stated by the health ministry has risen again to 1.09 (above the neutral rate of 1.00), a sign that new infections are on the rise,” he said in a Facebook post.
Najib said this proved the “failure” of the emergency and MCO 2.0. (READ MORE HERE)
COVID-19: Lockdown is main reason for drop in coronavirus cases and deaths – not vaccinations, says Boris Johnson
The PM suggests the millions of jabs given over the past few months was not key to the reduction in COVID levels.
(Sky News) – Boris Johnson has warned that the reduction in coronavirus infections, hospitalisations and deaths “has not been achieved” by the rollout of COVID vaccines.
The prime minister, speaking the day after the latest easing of lockdown restrictions, instead said it was the national shutdown that had been “overwhelmingly important” in driving down COVID rates. (READ MORE HERE)