London Bridge Terrorist Attack
(NST) – A man who stabbed two people to death in London and injured three more on Friday before being wrestled to the ground by bystanders, in what the authorities called a terrorist attack, had been convicted of an “Islamist terrorism-related offence”, The Times newspaper reported.
He was released from prison about a year ago after agreeing to wear an electronic tag, The Times said, citing unnamed government sources.
Meanwhile, British police named the man as 28-year-old Usman Khan, who had been previously convicted of terrorism offences and released from prison last year.
ARVE Error: src mismatch
src in org: https://www.youtube.com/embed/t8b-i_o1SdM?wmode=transparent&rel=0&feature=oembed
src in mod: https://www.youtube.com/embed/t8b-i_o1SdM?wmode=transparent&rel=0
src gen org: https://www.youtube.com/embed/t8b-i_o1SdM
“This individual was known to authorities, having been convicted in 2012 for terrorism offences,” said Britain’s top counter-terrorism police officer Neil Basu in a statement.
“He was released from prison in December 2018 on licence and clearly, a key line of enquiry now is to establish how he came to carry out this attack.”