They are doing a ‘Muhyiddin’ on me, says Azmin after PKR Youth snub
(FMT) – Mohamed Azmin Ali today compared PKR Youth’s decision to snub him at its upcoming congress to Umno’s decision in 2015 to bar then-deputy president Muhyiddin Yassin from addressing the party’s general assembly.
“It’s an attempt to gag me from reprimanding the current leadership,” the PKR deputy president said, a day after it was announced that he would not be officiating the youth congress on Dec 6.
In 2015, Muhyiddin, who lost his Cabinet post following a fallout with Najib Razak, was prevented from doing the customary winding-up speech at the conclusion of the Umno general assembly.
Youth chief Akmal Nasir yesterday said Dr Wan Azizah Wan Ismail would officiate the wing’s congress.
Azmin said the move was an attempt to stop him from reprimanding the current leadership, adding that there were “hidden hands” to withdraw the invitation to him to open the congress.
He said he had already confirmed his attendance at the congress when the invitation was suddenly withdrawn.
“Truth is, all is not well in Pakatan Harapan as there are factions who are trying to weaken it,” Azmin, who is also the economic affairs minister, told reporters here.
Yesterday, Akmal said the decision to invite Wan Azizah was reached during a PKR Youth council meeting on Oct 20.
Traditionally, the party’s deputy president is invited to open the national conventions of the party’s youth and women’s wings.
But Azmin said he had his doubts.
“I am sure that the PKR Youth chief will not dare do anything without hidden hands interfering in the background,” Azmin added.
He said Akmal was a “weak” leader and was not acting alone.
“But we will leave it to PKR Youth to decide because I know for a fact that Akmal is a weak leader and I will call for a meeting to discuss the matter,” he added.