Ancient Indian Inscription in Cherok To’kun – Grounds of St.Anne’s Church
The entire area, including Cherok To’kun and Seberang Prai (Province Wellesley) including Penang, was part of ancient Kedaram, the Indian name from which Malaysia’s Kedah is derived.
(Unfortunately, the video narration is in Tamil, but the pictures tell a thousand words).
Yet another relic testifying to our (Malaysia’s) rich and varied history and heritage lies almost forgotten in the beautiful and serene grounds of the St.Anne’s Church in Bukit Mertajam (BM), in the mainland part (as opposed to the island) of Penang.
The St.Anne’s feast at this BM church draws huge crowds and international visitors every year in July.
The Batu Bersurat Cherok To’kun was discovered by Lt. Col. James Low in 1845. Interestingly, James Low was also the discoverer of the Kedah Annalas or ‘Merong Mahawangsa’ (1849) and, the Bujang Valley (1864) located some 15km from Sg.Petani in Kedah, all signs of the ancient significant Indian presence in Malaysia. CLICK HERE FOR WIKIPEDIA ON BUJANG VALLEY
The 6th century inscriptions in Sanskrit describe the heroic efforts of an Indian king, Ramanibar, who vanquished and completely destroyed his enemies in a devastating battle. It warns that the same fate will befall all King Ramanibar’s enemies!