Chaos in Parliament after Opposition MPs demand explanation for former AG’s removal


(Malay Mail Online) – Chaos erupted in the Dewan Rakyat today after Opposition MPs demanded a federal minister explain the controversial removal of former Attorney-General Tan Sri Abdul Gani Patail, purportedly over health reasons.

Puchong MP Gobind Singh asked de facto law minister Nancy Shukri to explain the reason for Abdul Gani’s removal in July.

“On Gani Patail, he was removed from office on grounds that he was ill, but he claimed that he was not aware of such a thing, “ Nancy said in reply.

“Secondly, Malaysians all witnessed how he attended a forum in the Bar Council where he said he was fine.

Gobind countered that it appeared like there was interference and abuse of power if it was the prime minister who decided to remove the AG.

In reply, Nancy said Abdul Gani was indeed ill when he was removed from office as he had to undergo dialysis treatments frequently.

“Now he is fine but at that time he goes for dialysis up to three times in a week… what’s important is that his removal was done in accordance with the law,” Nancy said.

Her reply prompted other Opposition MPs to stand up and demand for more answers on Abdul Gani’s removal as well as transfer issues involving other officers.

Gobind stormed out of the Dewan Rakyat after Nancy ignored the uproar.

Later during a press conference in the lobby of Parliament, Gobind expressed disappointment over Nancy’s reply, saying the issue surrounding Abdul Gani’s removal was of public concern.

Last night, at the Bar Council public forum on the Security Offences (Special Measures) Act 2012 (SOSMA), Abdul Gani confirmed that he has been enjoying good health despite the need to under dialysis.

It was his first public appearance since his abrupt removal as the AG in July, ahead of his compulsory retirement that was only due on his 60th birthday on October 6.

Apart from telling Malay Mail Online on July 28 that he was unaware of the reason, Gani had not spoken publicly on his removal from the post he had held for 13 years.