Anwar sues NST and three others for RM70m
The jailed politician says he has been defamed in articles alleging bribery and money laundering, among other things
(Free Malaysia Today) – Anwar Ibrahim has filed a RM70 million defamation suit against the New Straits Times (NST) and three individuals over the publication of articles which he said accused him of unprofessional and dishonest conduct and implied that he was involved in money laundering.
The suit was filed last August 20 and referred to articles published in the NST on August 6, 2013 and February 3, 2014.
The jailed opposition leader is suing lawyer Ranjit Singh Dhillon, reporters Looi Sue-Chern and Adrian Lai and NST Press Bhd, for RM10 million, RM5 million, RM5 million and RM50 million respectively.
Ranjit is being sued for uttering slanderous statements.
Anwar claims that the NST articles accused him of unprofessional and corrupt practices, dishonesty, taking advantage of the public, being involved in judiciary fixing and hiding his assets and bank accounts.
He also says the defendants accused him of paying the late Karpal Singh a total of RM50 million, of being involved in money laundering, of bribing judges and prosecutors and of using the Bar Council as a tool for his politics.
Anwar had earlier lodged a police report over the allegations that he had made the RM50 million payment to Karpal and given bribes to judges and prosecutors.