YouTube video appears to reveal Anwar, Azmin ordered Dataran breach


(The Malaysian Insider) – A clip has appeared on video-sharing site YouTube that appears to show Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim signalling at PKR deputy president Azmin Ali to breach a police barricade barring Bersih supporters from entering Dataran Merdeka on Saturday.

Police had obtained a court order barring members of the public from entering the historic square and Bersih leaders had also told supporters not to defy the order and instead hold their sit-in rally for free and fair elections up to the point they were stopped by police.

In the very first few seconds of the 19-minute video, Opposition Leader Anwar, who is standing on top of a truck, is seen making a rolling gesture with both hands in Azmin’s direction before the camera pans to the Gombak MP.

Azmin, who is standing on top of the barricade with his back towards the square, jerks his thumb over his shoulder and nods back in Anwar’s direction while an Indian male in a yellow T-shirt also makes the same gesture towards the PKR de facto leader.

The Selangor PKR chief then looks over his shoulder towards the man, who some on Twitter say is a PKR member from Negri Sembilan, who in turn points at Azmin and nods back.

A few members of the crowd of 15,000, who were sandwiched between the square and Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL), begin chanting “masuk, masuk (enter, enter)” and the Indian man pushes the metal gate aside, allowing the crowd to burst through.

Less than two minutes later water cannon trucks open fire on the crowd and the rest of the video documents some of the ensuing chaos.

An earlier video released by the police shows the crowd running towards Dataran Merdeka before riot police fire tear gas at them.

But Bersih, the opposition and other observers have accused police of using excessive force to control the crowd, chasing protestors down other streets and firing “tear gas everywhere.” 


Although the clip was available earlier in the evening, it was taken down repeatedly despite new versions appearing on social media network Facebook, YouTube and being shared via micro-blogging site Twitter.

At the time of writing, the video, reportedly taken by a news cameraman, was still available on YouTube.