Why remain in the Cabinet?

What is the use of MCA, Gerakan and MIC Ministers remaining in Cabinet if three of the four major Barisan Nasional component parties in Peninsular Malaysia could be overruled on a Royal Commission of Inquiry into Teoh Beng Hock’s mysterious death at MACC?

Lim Kit Siang

MCA President Datuk Seri Ong Tee Keat has finally said that the four MCA Ministers support the establishment of a Royal Commission of Inquiry (RCI) into the mysterious death of Teoh Beng Hock, 30, the political secretary to Selangor DAP State Exco and State Assemblyman for Seri Kembangan, Ean Yong Han Hwa who went to the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) Shah Alam to co-operate in its investigations but end up as a corpse at the MACC Hqrs last Thursday 16th July 2009.

Gerakan President Tan Sri Dr. Koh Tsu Koon has also finally declared yesterday that Gerakan supports the establishment of a RCI into Teoh’s death.

MIC President, Datuk Seri S. Samy Vellu said yesterday that MIC Minister for Human Resources Dr. S. Subramaniam will support in Cabinet the proposal to set up a RCI.

So far, the only Minister and Barisan Nasional component party to openly declare opposition to the establishment of a RCI into Teoh’s death is Datuk Peter Chin, Minister of Energy, Green Technology and Water from SUPP.

There are also UMNO Ministers who are supportive of a RCI into Teoh’s death, like the Minister for Information, Communication and Culture, Datuk Seri Dr. Rais Yatim who said yesterday that the setting up a RCI to investigate Teoh’s death can remove whatever doubt the people may have because the outcome of investigation by the Commission will carry more weight compared to other investigations.

He said the request to form the RCI should be supported by everyone and that as a member of the Cabinet, he would not oppose the suggestion.

With the three major parties of the Barisan Nasional in Peninsular Malaysia – MCA, Gerakan and MIC – declaring public support for a RCI, together with Ministers from Umno (with only the solitary objection from the SUPP Minister), the question that must be asked is: