What Teoh probe reveals so far…

(NST) SHAH ALAM: Police have completed 60 per cent of their investigations into Teoh Beng Hock’s death and this is what their probe has revealed so far.


l Teoh’s handphone was not with him when he died;
l He died between 8am and 9am on Thursday; and,
l He was believed to have fallen from the 14th floor window.

Selangor police chief Datuk Khalid Abu Bakar revealed that Teoh’s handphone was in the possession of the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission investigating officer who had earlier allowed him to go home.

However, Khalid declined to comment when asked why the handphone was with the investigating officer when MACC was already done with questioning Teoh.

Teoh, the political aide to Selangor state executive councillor Ean Yong Hian Wah, was called in to help in investigations at 5pm on Wednesday at the MACC office in Plaza Masalam.

MACC had said he was discharged at 3.45am but was to return with several files later in the day.

Teoh was however, found sprawled on the roof of the fifth floor of the building about 1.30pm on Thursday.

On the handphone, Khalid said police seized it from the MACC officer on the day of the incident.

He said police were inspecting the SIM card to check who Teoh contacted before he died or who had called him.

halid said initial findings from pathologists who conducted the postmortem put the time of death at between 8am and 9am on Thursday, some five hours before his body was found by a janitor.

“We believe Teoh may have fallen from the 14th floor of Plaza Masalam as a latch from a window there was found on the fifth floor, where the body was found,” he said after briefing Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Musa Hassan on the progress of the investigations here yesterday.

Closed-circuit television camera recordings showed that Teoh entered the building on the evening of July 15 but there were no footages of him leaving the place.

He said the case had been classified as a sudden death.

No arrests have been made.

Police have recorded statements from 25 MACC officers and 13 others, including janitors and workers at the building.

Police will also call in Ean Yong, Kota Alam Shah assemblyman M. Manoharan, Teoh’s family members and his friends.

Also on the list are two assistants of an assemblyman who were called in for questioning last Wednesday along with Teoh.

Khalid said checks revealed that Teoh had contacted Ean Yong and Manoharan before he turned up at the MACC office.

He was said to be a key witness in MACC’s probe of 12 Selangor Pakatan Rakyat assemblymen for alleged misappropriation of their allocation.

He was also to have registered his marriage to Soh Cher Wei, a teacher, on the day he died.
Soh is two months’ pregnant.

Meanwhile, Kajang municipal council member Tan Boon Wah spent several hours at the district police headquarters in Shah Alam yesterday having his statement recorded.Tan arrived about 8.50pm accompanied by his wife and lawyer. He was assisting police in their investigations into Teoh’s death. Tan is also helping investigations into claims of physical and mental torture that he allegedly suffered while being questioned by MACC officers.

Tan went to the Selangor MACC headquarters on the same day as Teoh and is believed to be the last person to see him alive.