Sarawak: My state, my government, my business

The news that was missed by all local and national dailies revealed:
“Cahya Mata Sarawak Bhd’s (CMS) unit CMS Land Sdn Bhd has secured RM232 million worth of construction contracts from Sarawak Energy Bhd (SEB) to develop and construct the latter’s proposed headquarters building at Isthmus in Kuching, Sarawak.

By Chee How (Hornbill Unleashed)

CMS Land, in turn, awarded the contract to design, develop, construct, complete and transfer the proposed building to Putrajaya Perdana Bhd’s (PPB) wholly owned unit, Putra Perdana Construction Sdn Bhd, for RM221 million.

CMS is a major shareholder of PPB via its 100%-owned Concordance Holdings Sdn Bhd.

Concordance holds a 28.3% stake in UBG Bhd and an indirect 51% stake in PPES Works (Sarawak) Sdn Bhd, which in aggregate holds more than 15% of UBG.

UBG in turn has a 85.9% direct interest in PPB.”

“Another mega project in CMS’ bag?” My well-informed friend Wong said with much disgust in his tone, “How true what Aziz Hussain had said that it is easier if you have personal contact with the Chief Minister.”

Tan Sri Abdul Aziz Hussain, for the information of some of our Hornbill Unleashed readers who are not Sarawakians, is the brother-in-law of the Sarawak Chief Minister and the former State Secretary of Sarawak.

This same Tan Sri Abdul Aziz Hussain is now the Sarawak Energy Berhad (SEB) group managing director.

The Sarawak State Government holds 65% equity interest in SEB. The SEB Group is responsible for the generation, transmission and distribution of electricity in Sarawak, the State’s flagship energy and utility corporation.

CMS Land Sdn Bhd

CMS Land Sdn Bhd specializes in property development and construction of commercial, industrial, institutional and residential projects. The company’s major focus for the next 10 years is the development of its 240 acre property on the Kuching Isthmus, an integral part of the Kuching Township Development Plan.

CMS Land is 51% owned by CMS Property Development Sdn Bhd whilst the remaining 49% is owned by the Sarawak Economic Development Corporation SEDC). CMS Property Development is wholly owned by CMS Berhad.

Dato Sri Mahmud Abu Bekir Taib, Deputy Group Chairman of Cahaya Mata Sarawak Berhad (”CMS”) and major shareholder of CMS with direct interest of 8.92%, is the Chairman of the Board of Directors of CMS Property Development and CMS Land.

Read more at: