Perak MB sworn in as protest raged

Sultan of Perak Sultan Azlan Shah (left) handing the instrument of appointment to new Menteri Besar, Pangkor assemblyman Datuk Dr Zambry Abdul Kadir in a swearing-in ceremony at Istana Iskandariah, Bukit Chandan.

(The Sun) Barisan Nasional (BN) officially took over the Perak state administration today with Pangkor assemblyman Datuk Dr Zambry Abdul Kadir sworn in as the new Menteri Besar on an afternoon that saw Pakatan Rakyat supporters staging a protest rally marked by tear gas and stones throwing.

The swearing-in ceremony took place before the Sultan of Perak, Sultan Azlan Shah, at Istana Iskandariah in Bukit Chandan here, amid the former Pakatan Rakyat (PR) government's refusal to accept that the manner in which they were kick out of office.
All 28 PR assemblymen boycotted the ceremony, with their supporters staging a demonstration outside the Ubudiah Mosque, just 300 metres from the palace. Some among the crowd were seen hurling sticks and bottles at policemen and vehicles passing through the Jalan Istana, Bernama reported.
Zambry's appointment effectively ended Perak's political impasse, with the PR government losing its majority in the state legislative assembly when four of its assemblymen quit the coalition three days ago, to become "BN-friendly independents".
Yesterday, the Sultan of Perak decided not to grant consent to the PR government's request to dissolve the state legislative assembly, and instead ordered Menteri Besar Seri Mohammad Nizar Jamaluddin and his executive council to step down immediately.
The sultan ruled that if Mohammad Nizar and his executive council refused to do so, the posts of Menteri Besar and executive councillors would be regarded as vacant. Nizar has since defied the order and insisted he is still the legal mentri besar until the assembly decides otherwise.

Reuters reported that over a thousand opposition supporters were stopped by police this afternoon from marching to Istana Iskandariah. FRU men fired teargas and protesters threw stones after the crowd refused to disperse and roads to the palace were blocked, a Reuters photographer said.

Constitutional law professor Shad Saleem Faruqi said that while the political standoff was an "embarrassment" for the government, there was no constitutional crisis in either the state or the country.

"The fact remains that a new state government is being formed, and Malaysia still has a ruling government with 60 percent of the (parliamentary) seats," he said.