PERAK IN CRISIS: today’s chronology of events

Compiled by Humayun Kabir (The Sun)


Assemblyman Datuk Ngeh Koo Ham, MP for Ipoh Barat S. Kulasegaran and State Assembly Speaker V. Sivakumar say they will write to the Sultan of Perak to suggest that the state assembly be convened as soon as possible to put Mohammad Nizar to a vote of confidence. Letter is being drafted now and will be handed over soonest.


Exco Nga Kor Ming calls a press conference at DAP headquarters where he appeals to the Sultan of Perak to reconsider his decision, and to give the mandate back to the people to choose the state government they want.


Mohammad Nizar and his convoy drive out of the state secretariat, back to his official residence, in his official car.


FRU personnel came to take control of the situation and the reporters then left the room. They however remained in the state secretariat compound.

Meanwhile, Jalan Raja Nazrin Shah from the roundabout in front of the menteri besar's house to the flyover at the Medan Gopeng junction has been closed to traffic until 7pm today.

Perak police chief Datuk Zulkefli Abdullah said all motorists were advised to use alternative routes to enter the city and to follow instructions by the police to ensure smooth traffic flow. The road was closed to prevent any gatherings that could disrupt public peace, he said.


Ipoh OCPD Azisman Alias came to Nizar's office and told the press to leave. They then went down to the first floor where Ngeh gave a press conference together with other exco members. He called for the rule of law to be followed and claimed the Barisan Nasional was trying to take over "via the backdoor".

Azisman then appeared again and asked the Press to clear. But nobody moved.


A defiant Mohammad Nizar Jamaluddin and his executive council members arrived at the State Secretariat as they had promised yesterday but policemen guarding the entrace denied them entry.

When supporters became boisterous and tried to force their way in, police relented and opened the gate.

About 40 to 50 supporters were there, as were more than 100 reporters and photographers intent on capturing the big pictures of the day.

Nizar went to his office on the second floor, accompanied by his exco, supporters and reporters. At his office, he opened the drawers but found them empty. He said all files and important documents had been taken away, claiming that it was done on the order of the state secretary.

When asked what he would do, he said he would convene the usual exco meeting at 10am (which did not take place). He also said he had to meet some people as scheduled.

On being told that a new Mentri Besar (Pangkor assemblyman Datuk Dr Zambry Abdul Kadir) would be sworn in at 3.30pm today, he smiled and quipped: "Two of us will have to share the same table."

State secretary Datuk Dr Abdul Rahman Hashim came into the office and told the press to leave the room.

When supporters shouted at him and refused to go, he left.

Nizar then left his room to go to senior exco Datuk Ngeh Koo Ham's office on the first floor. The press remained in his room.