‘Rubbish’, Najib says of claim Sirul killed Altantuya under orders


(Malay Mail Online) – Datuk Seri Najib Razak described as “rubbish” today fugitive ex-police commando Sirul Azhar Umar’s latest claim that he was acting under orders when he killed Mongolian model Altantuya Shaariibuu in 2006.

The prime minister, who was asked for his response on the matter at MCA’s Chinese New Year open house here, did not comment further, however.

“Utter rubbish,” he said, before leaving.

Sirul is reportedly considering revealing why he and another former police commando shot dead the Mongolian model and blew her body up with explosives.

Currently detained by Australian immigration authorities, he claimed that the Federal Court should have called his then-superior, deputy superintendent Musa Safri, to testify.

Sirul, who has been sentenced to death for the murder, previously said he did not know Altantuya or her ex-lover Abdul Razak Baginda, who was acquitted of abetting her 2006 killing.

Abdul Razak is a former aide to Najib.

Sirul’s latest claims have renewed calls for the police to reopen the case, especially as the authorities have yet to establish the motive behind the killing.

But Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar said yesterday that his men will not re-investigate the murder despite the new allegations.

He said it was premature to start a new probe into the murder as Sirul has yet to divulge information that merited renewed scrutiny into the case.

“We do not see any reason to conduct a new probe into the case because of instigation of certain parties,” he was quoted as saying by news portal Malaysiakini yesterday.

“We will see first what he (Sirul) will reveal.”

Home Minister Datuk Seri Ahmad Zahid Hamidi has confirmed that Malaysian police have sent a formal request to Australia through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to extradite Sirul.

Australia’s extradition legislation prohibits an individual from being sent back to another country for an offence punishable by death, unless that country pledges not to carry out a death sentence.

Sirul and former chief Inspector Azilah Hadri were charged with the murder of 28-year-old Altantuya in 2006 and convicted in 2009.

They were freed after the appellate court acquitted them in 2013, but the Federal Court reversed the acquittal last month and sent them back to hang, marking the end to the eight-year saga.

Sirul was a no-show during the Federal Court hearing and it was later revealed that he is in Australia.