Kit Siang accuses IGP of negligence for refusing fresh probe on Altantuya case


(Malay Mail Online) – DAP’s Lim Kit Siang chastised Inspector-General of Police (IGP) Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar today for refusing to open a new investigation into the murder of Mongolian Altantuya Shaariibuu, calling the move “double negligence”.

Lim also accused the Attorney-General (AG) and Federal Court judges of being similarly guilty of negligence for allegedly ignoring the need to identify the mastermind of the crime, despite fugitive cop Sirul Azhar Umar already saying in 2006 that he was acting under orders.

“The IGP, however, is obstinate that the police will not re-investigate Altantuya’s murder even though new allegations have surfaced on the ground that Sirul had not divulged information that merited renewed scrutiny into the case,” he said in a statement.

“This is double negligence on the part of the police in its investigations to the Altantuya’s murder,” he added.

Lim recalled that Sirul had said in his first police statement on November 9, 2006, that he was offered money and was carrying out instructions to kill Altantuya.

The police and the AG, however, failed to act on the claim, the Gelang Patah MP said.

“If the AG had knowledge of Sirul’s first police statement admitting to the crime but stating that he was directed to do so, it constituted a serious dereliction of duty on his part  in not directing the police to carry out a more satisfactory and thorough investigation to find out, not just the ‘hatchet men’ who murdered Altantunya, but the ‘mastermind’ behind it.”

“Can the AG Tan Sri Abdul Gani Patail exonerate himself of such a gross dereliction of duty?” Lim asked.

Sirul is reportedly considering revealing why he and another former police commando shot dead the Mongolian model and blew her body up with explosives.

But yesterday, IGP Khalid said the police will not re-investigate Altantuya’s murder even though new allegations are surfacing in Australia, where Sirul is being held.

Sirul and former chief Inspector Azilah Hadri were charged with the murder of 28-year-old Altantuya in 2006 and convicted in 2009.

They were freed after the appellate court acquitted them in 2013, but the Federal Court reversed the acquittal last month and sent them back to hang, marking the end to the eight-year saga.

Sirul was a no-show during the Federal Court hearing and it was later revealed that he is in Australia.