Rafizi to meet HK’s anti-corruption officials tomorrow

The PKR whistleblower will meet with Hong Kong anti-corruption officials and politicians tomorrow over the RM40 million Michael Chia scandal.

Patrick Lee, FMT

PKR whistleblower Rafizi Ramli will travel to Hong Kong tomorrow as part of his quest to find answers over the alleged RM40 million Sabah Umno scandal.

He said that the two-day trip will see him, PKR MPs William Leong (Selayang) and Hee Loy Sian (Petaling Jaya Selatan) and state assemblyman Chang Li Kang (Teja) meet with the Independent Commissions Against Corruption’s (ICAC) Operations Review Committee (ORC).

“The review committee can direct the ICAC to divulge certain information…We are going to get to the bottom of this,” he told reporters at the National Oversight and Whistleblowers centre.

Rafizi said that the committee, which was made out of ICAC-independent members, had the power to get the ICAC to take another look into closed investigations.

Additionally, he and the PKR lawmakers would also meet with Hong Kong Legislative Council opposition members, including Leung Kwok-Heung (League of Social Democrats), James To Kun-Sun (Democratic Party), Raymond Wong Yuk-Man (People’s Power) and Civic Party leaders.

According to him, the trip, which would see him return to KL on Friday, had two objectives: to query if the ICAC’s investigation of timber tycoon Michael Chia was stonewalled by the Malaysian government, and to re-open the 2008 case.

In 2008, Chia was supposedly caught by ICAC officers for trying to smuggle RM40 million in Singapore dollars to Malaysia. In October this year, Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department Nazri Abdul Aziz told Parliament that Chia had never been arrested, clearing him of corruption.

This prompted Rafizi to reveal that Nazri’s family had been using a RM459,000 Hummer vehicle that Chia owned, leaving the PKR strategic director to wonder if Nazri was in fact linked money-wise to the timber tycoon.

Previously, the PKR leader also alleged that ICAC’s investigation had been dropped after three years because of a supposed lack of cooperation by the Malaysian government.