Why does it cost US$328 million or RM1 billion to build patrol boats in Malaysia?

When we say that Malaysia spends ten times more for government procurement compared to other countries, they respond by saying that only 40% of what Malaysia Today says can be believed. The other 60% are damn lies. Well, look at the lies below.


Raja Petra Kamarudin

Govt allocates RM6 billion for 6 patrol vessels

(Bernama) – The Government has agreed to allocate RM6 billion to build six second-generation patrol vessels for the Royal Malaysian Navy, Defence Minister Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi (photograph above) said.

The construction of the ships will boost the economy while benefiting 632 vendor companies, he told reporters here yesterday after a briefing on the project.

“Thus, we will ensure that at least RM2 billion of the allocation will benefit these vendor companies, which are strategic partners of Boustead Naval Shipyard Sdn Bhd,” he added.

Ahmad Zahid said that he would monitor the progress of the project, due to start next year, and ensure that all concerned benefit from it and that there was no delay in paying the vendors.

He said that Boustead Naval Shipyard had constructed several new generation vessels for the navy and shown itself to be on par with other ship builders in the world.


East Timor paid US$28 million for the 175-tonne Shanghai class boats

East Timor is acquiring two navy patrol boats from South Korea (picture above) as the country moves further out of Australia’s sphere of military influence.

The acquisition, which has not been publicly announced, comes after the country bought two 43-metre Chinese patrol boats, which strained relations between Australia and the government in Dili earlier this year.

East Timor’s marine police unit is also moving to purchase nine smaller boats, adding to its fleet of three, the marine police commander, Lino Saldanha, told journalists in Dili.

When the Chinese patrol boats were launched in June, Ian Storey, a regional defence expert at the Institute of South-East Asian Studies in Singapore, said Dili wanted to ”demonstrate to Canberra that it has other choices when it comes to defence partners”.

East Timor paid US$28 million for the 1960s-designed, 175-tonne Shanghai class boats.


The 154-foot Sentinel-class Fast Response Cutter: Price US$41 million

The 154-foot Sentinel-class Fast Response Cutter will be a key component of the Coast Guard’s recapitalised fleet. It will be capable of speeds in excess of 28 knots and feature a cutter boat stern ramp launch and recovery system. Its armament includes one stabilized, remotely-operated 25mm chain gun and four crew-served 0.50 caliber machine guns. It will have a crew capacity of 23 people and will be able to perform independently for a minimum of five days at sea and be underway for 2,500 hours per year.


The Clyde River class patrol boats: Price £30 million or US$48 million


Displacement: 1,854 tonnes full load

Length Overall:  81.5m (265 feet)

Length waterline:  73.6m

Beam: 13.6m (46 feet)

Draught – 3.8m (11.5 feet)

Speed: 19 knots full load (21kts sprint)

Endurance: 21-day endurance,

Range: 5,500 nm at 12 knots

Engineering:  Main Engines 2 X 12V RK270 Rushton Marine Diesels Rated at 4125kw at 1000 RPM;

Bow Thruster: 280 kw; Stern Thruster: 185 kw; 3 Main Generators: 250 kw; 1 Emergency Generator: 170 kw

Guns: 1 x 30mm, 4 x GMPG

Sensors: Terma Scanter 4100 air and surface surveillance radar

Complement: 36 (6 officers, 9 SR, 21 JR), accommodation for 58

Aviation: Flight Deck Arrangements sufficient size to take for a Lynx, Sea King and Merlin Helicopters

See more details/specifications/photographs here: http://navy-matters.beedall.com/opvh.htm