Ten MACC officers in building on night of July 15, say guards

(The Star) – Two security guards on night duty at Plaza Masalam said there were 10 officers at the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) premises between the night of July 15 and the following morning on the day political aide Teoh Beng Hock died there.

Wan Rosli Wan Adam and Abdul Rahman Rahim told the inquest into Teoh’s death that the officers were there between 8pm on July 15 and 8am the following day.

From a CCTV recording of the building’s lobby, the guards identified MACC officers who had walked in or out of the building during the time in question.

They are believed to be the state MACC’s assistant director and several other officers who had questioned Teoh and recorded his statement.

One of the officers identified is believed to be the man who had last seen Teoh alive in the MACC office. He left the building at 6.10am.

All the officers were unnamed during the inquest.

Wan Rosli said a man believed to be Teoh was also seen walking in the lobby between midnight and 4am in one of the CCTV recordings shown to him.

He said another visual also showed MACC officers going into the premises with an unidentified Chinese man at 12.52am.

At one point, Gobind asked Wan Rosli if he had recorded the details of those who had entered the building late at night or in the early hours of the morning. He replied no.

“Why have security when people can just walk in and out? How are we to know who they are if it’s not recorded?” the lawyer asked.

Wan Rosli also said that there was no internal investigation carried out to determine how a dead man had ended up in the building.

On whether the guards had asked MACC officers about the people they brought to their 14th floor office for questioning late at night, he again said no.

Abdul Rahman identified two out of three men from a CCTV visual as MACC officers.

He said he did not know the name of the first MACC officer but added the second man was called Ashraf. However, Abdul Rahman could not identify the third person.

Coroner Azmil Muntapha Abas ordered the security log book to be brought to the inquest today.