(The Star) - Former prime minister Tun Abdullah Ahmad Badawi may yet defend his Kepala Batas parliamentary seat as Umno has not made any decision about looking for a successor.
Sources said Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak had promised Abdullah that a decision on the seat would be up to the latter, but till today, the two men have not met to discuss the matter.
Many of Abdullah's supporters expressed surprise when it was reported two days ago that Abdullah had been dropped from the Barisan Nasional line-up.
However, sources said this was untrue as the list was still being drawn up and Najib had decided to leave the matter of Abdullah's seat to the last minute.
“Abdullah will definitely win the seat if he contests. Najib's priority is to win as many seats as possible and why change if Pak Lah is sure to win,” said a party insider.
The Star reported on Tuesday that Najib would field up to 40% of new faces and many of the veteran politicians, including former Cabinet ministers, would be dropped.
However, sources said several ex-ministers were considered to be winnable candidates under the formula touted by Najib.
It was also reported that many of the new faces would be fresh faces.
Most of them would either be women or men below the age of 40.