(The Star) - The Batu Caves temple committee claims it is being victimised by the Selangor government for staging a protest against the construction of a condominium near the limestone cave site last year.
Sri Maha Mariamman Devasathanam committee chairman Datuk R. Nadarajah alleged the state government, through the Selayang Munici-pal Council (MPS), had made bizarre requests, including asking for a building plan of the iconic staircase that leads into the main cave.
“After we protested against the condominium, MPS sent us a barrage of letters, and one of them was to dispute the safety of the staircase.
“The staircase has been around since the 1930s. Millions of people have been going up and down it and there has never been a problem.
“And now they want a building plan for the staircase?’’ Nadarajah said here yesterday.
He alleged the state government was also punishing him by scrapping his plans for an Indian cultural centre as well as made him face a lot of bureaucracy over the Batu Caves cable car project.
Nadarajah claimed the development order for the cable car was approved on Dec 31 last year, but MPS was asking for the building plan again.
“That will take us another year of waiting. People are already asking about the cable car,’’ he said.
The cable car project was announ-ced in 2011 and was expected to be completed in 2012.
He reiterated that the problems began after he started speaking againt the condominium project.
“I protested and they are now coming after me,’’ alleged Nadarajah.
Nadarajah had led a protest against the 29-storey condominium project, located just 120m next to the Lord Murugan statue, in October last year, saying the development was too close to the limestone hills.
He added that he would be revealing more next week as well as showing the letters from MPS.