Official documents showed he went against his own initial decision to award it to the winning bidder.
(FMT) - PKR demanded today that Prime Minister Najib Tun Razak explain why he allegedly went against the tender panel’s decision to award the Ampang LRT extension project to the winning bidder.
Copies of official documents given to the press showed that Najib had signed the approval to award the contract to Balfour Bratty Invensys Consortium, but he was later said to be keen on granting the project to George Kent consortium instead.
Rafizi Ramli, PKR’s strategic director, pointed out that Najib’s decision to give the tender to a new party, if true, was against the decision made by the Ministry of Finance’s Acquisition Committee which convened on Jan 25, 2012.
The committee is the highest decision making body in the MoF and is chaired by Najib himself.
“This strengthens the perception of the business community locally or internationally that Najib and his family play an influential role in awarding the contract to George Kent,” he said.
Business Times had quoted sources with knowledge on the matter as saying the winning bidder for the job was expected to be announced by the government within the next few days.
Logistics consortium George Kent, first tipped to win the job in July last year, was again said to be the likely winner for the RM1 billion project in a report published five days ago. The report, however, is yet to be verified.
The PKR leader said Najib must explain key questions pertaining to the project, chiefly as to why George Kent was so confident of winning the contract despite the announcement that a winner had already been picked.