Only when the independent panel investigating Bersih 3.0 violence completes its task, will there be any action taken.
(FMT) - Action will only be taken against those involved in the Bersih 3.0-related violence after Hanif Omar’s independent panel completes its investigation.
Deputy Home Minister Abu Seman Yusop told reporters this in Parliament after he was asked why only two police officers had been charged with violence so far.
“At the moment, [it is] under investigation; [there are] not only the police cases. There are lots of other cases. So the Attorney-General’s Chambers is looking into the matter.”
“As far as they’re concerned, whatever happened [on that day], if we received a directive from the A-G’s Chambers, upon their recommendation, we [will] take action.”
“We are waiting on whatever results of the investigation to be submitted to the A-G’s Chambers,” he said.
He said this after addressing the Dewan Rakyat on possible legal action against Bersih’s organisers for the April 28 rally.
Abu Seman said that there were no laws that allowed the police to mistreat people, denying accusations that there were.
“This is because the police acted according to their SOP [Standard Operating Procedure], which has been set, and at the same time, the police needed to act fast to control the situation,” he said.
Scores of people, both protesters and police officers alike, were seen engaging in violence during the latter part of the Bersih 3.0 rally.
Police fired water cannons and nearly a thousand tear gas canisters after Dataran Merdeka’s barricades were breached by protesters.
In return, many protesters fought with police in street battles that would stretch over the next four hours. After this, 512 civilians were arrested, along with dozens on both sides suffering injuries.